Hungryroot 101: Using Your Leftovers
The meal is over, the plates are clean, and everyone’s full. So now what happens to the extra ingredients hanging out in your fridge? More tasty meals and less waste.
Check out our tips for making the most of what’s left over:
- Freeze extra sauce in an ice cube tray and defrost cubes when ready to use.
- Use as a sandwich spread or dip for chips + fresh veggies.
- Drizzle it over another recipe that could use a little extra flavor.
- Add your oil (olive, avocado) + acid of choice (lemon, vinegar) to thin it out for an easy dressing.
- Drink your greens instead of cooking them (like adding spinach or kale to a smoothie).
- Freeze leftover fruit for future shakes + smoothies.
- Make an omelet (everything in your fridge can improve an omelet: half an onion, a single scallion, etc.)
- While our recipes range from 2 or 4 servings each, sometimes you get enough ingredients (like a full bag of broccoli) to make a recipe twice—save what remains to make it again.
- Check out The Cookbook to find tons of recipes that can put your extras to delicious use. Just search by ingredient and see what sounds good!