We all love chocolate. Well, most of us do. We’ve been told there’s a small percentage of the population that inexplicably does not like chocolate.
For the remaining 98% of the population, it can be hard to find high-quality chocolate treats these days. Grocery store aisles are lined with sugary candy bars and chocolate pastries that contain long ingredient lists, refined sugars and additives. You should be able to eat chocolate and feel good about it.
We feel the same way about this creamy vegan hot chocolate. It has healthy fats from the coconut milk and is made with heart-healthy dark chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder. To make this hot cocoa worthy of dessert, top it with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and a few dark chocolate chips.
- 2 cups canned lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 2 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (can substitute your sweetener of choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of sea salt
- For orange-flavored hot chocolate: 2 strips of orange peel and 2 thin orange slices
- For garnish: coconut whipped cream, sprinkled cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and/or orange zest.
- Pour the coconut milk in a small saucepan and warm over medium-low heat. If you want to add an orange flavor, add the orange peel and slices now. Once the milk is warmed, add the chocolate chips. Stir until melted.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Bring to a boil. Then whisk continuously for 3-4 minutes until the hot chocolate is heated through and has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and serve with desired garnishes.