It’s no surprise that we love beets because they’re incredibly nutritious and packed with Vitamins A, B and C; potassium, iron, fiber, magnesium, beta-carotene and folic acid.
The beetroot gets its beautiful crimson hue from betalains, powerful phytonutrients with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification properties that fight cancer, heart disease and diabetes. However, since betalains and some other nutrients are heat-sensitive, it’s best to steam beets for 15 or fewer minutes or bake them for less than an hour to help retain those nutrients. That’s why our recipe calls for using small beets, which take less time to cook than larger beets.
The health benefits aren’t the only great thing about this soup. It’s also easy on the eyes and tastes delicious. The combination of the sweet roasted root vegetables and the creamy coconut milk make this soup hearty yet luxurious, and the flavors lend themselves to easy pairing with a variety of toppings.
For an Indian flair, top this soup with your yogurt of choice, minced cilantro, fennel seeds and crushed peanuts. If you want to add an Asian twist, top with sauteed shiitake mushrooms, sliced scallions, sesame seeds and toasted sesame oil. And for a Mediterranean vibe, swirl in tahini, sesame seeds, parsley, and za’atar-infused olive oil.
- 2 1/2 pounds of small beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- Olive oil for roasting sweet potatoes + 2 tablespoons for cooking vegetables
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 32 ounces of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of freshly minced ginger
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 scant teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 14 ounce can of coconut milk
- Garnishes: see above
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Wrap each beet in aluminum foil and place in a baking dish or tray. Roast the beets for approximately 40-45 minutes or until the beets are fork tender. Once cooked, remove the beets from the foil and let them cool. Chop the beets roughly into rough chunks.
- When the beets begin to roast, peel the sweet potatoes and chop roughly into chunks. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt pepper. Spread out on a baking tray and roast for 30-40 minutes, flipping the potatoes halfway.
- While the beets are cooling, heat a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add the diced onions and carrots. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- To the pot, add the cooked beets and sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, ginger, lime juice, spices, and bay leaf. Stir well and cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a high speed blender or use an immersion blender to purée until the soup is smooth but retains some chunkiness.
- Return the soup to Dutch oven. Add the coconut milk and stir thoroughly to incorporate.
- Serve with desired toppings.