We can’t tell you how much we love turmeric.
For one, it can be used as an everyday home remedy in a plethora of ways: to treat upset stomachs and heartburn, in a homemade toothpaste for teeth whitening, as a spreadable paste for joint sprains or as a skin care mask.
More significantly, turmeric boasts anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help your body fight diseases and illnesses, from heart disease and diabetes to arthritis and Alzheimer’s Disease.
And finally, turmeric yields a beautiful golden color, one that is taking Instagram, food blogs, and hipster cafes by storm. That’s why we’re sharing this easy turmeric latte (“golden milk”) recipe with you.
If you don’t have ground cloves or cardamom on hand, feel free to omit. We like to include them because the more superfoods, the better, right?
Golden Milk Latte
- 2 cups creamy almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Small knob of peeled, grated ginger or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- For option 1, blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until well-combined and smooth. Then, pour the mixture into a small saucepan and heat over low for 4-5 minutes until hot, but do not boil. Remove from heat and drink.
- For option 2, add all ingredients to a small saucepan over medium low heat. Cook and stir frequently for 4-5 minutes until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and use a fine-mesh sieve to strain the mixture into a mug. Using a milk frother, froth the top for a few seconds.